I was taken aback late last night when I read of the accidental death of Scott Dinsmore — a blogger I’ve read for several years. I never met him or heard him speak — I only knew him through his online Live Your Legend site. He died pursuing one of his passions.
He is what a I call a butt-kicker: a guy who encourages me to look outside my box, to consider new possibilities, to put action to my dreams, and to live with no regrets.
During the night my mind recalled some of the butt-kickers in my life: the people who do what I’ve always dreamed of, the books of advice and self-help, speakers who energize me to take the next step, doctors who encourage a lifestyle change, friends who are honest in their assessments, teachers and mentors who believe I can become more.
I only have questions for you, my readers:
- Who has encouraged you to move ahead, in spite of your fears?
- Who has walked with you to the edge of the cliff, to help you check the view from there?
- Who has said, “Of course you can do this” when you didn’t think it possible?
- Who has allowed you to borrow their courage, until you had enough of your own?
- Who has shown you the path for getting from here to there, when you couldn’t see the way?
Who are your butt-kickers? Who is it that opens your eyes? Who changes your awareness? Who is it that accompanies you on your journey until have the energy and focus to make it on your own?
Butt-kicking is about hearing the wisdom of others, taking it to heart, and doing the necessary work.
Until next Tuesday . . .